Community Group Discussion Questions
June 23rd, 2019: Vindication Station
- Take some time to pray for Christians who are being persecuted all over the world. We are so lucky to worship freely, pray for our brothers and sisters fighting to honor the Lord with their lives.
- Who has traveled the farthest? Where did you go, what did you experience?
- How do you know you are ‘right’ with God?
- What does it mean to be ‘right’ with Him?
- Read Philippians 2:12-18
- What stands out?
- Read Philippians 2:12-13
- What does it mean to work with fear and trembling?
- What is his good purpose?
- How does God work in us?
- What does it look like to trust in Jesus?
- Read Philippians 2:14-16
- How do we stand out as followers of Jesus?
- Read Philippians 2:17-18
- What is Paul saying he rejoices in the midst of?
- Have you ever had a glad and rejoiceful response to something hard you’re going through? What happened?
- How are you a part of Jesus’ work in the world and building up other people’s faith?
- Take some time to reflect/pray on anything you need to confess and make right with God.
- Discuss as a group what it looks like to trust Jesus and how you can practically live that out.
June 16th, 2019: The Greater Story
- Happy Father’s Day! Would anyone like to share a story about how a father figure has impacted their life?
- For those of you who are dads, what is your favorite part about being a dad? What is most challenging?
- Why do you think fathers are so important?
- Eric started his message by telling his journey with power. What has your journey with power been like? In what ways do you have power? Do you tend to seek it out or avoid it? Do you think it’s a good, bad, or neutral thing?
- June 19 is Juneteenth. What does the holiday remember? Why do we celebrate it?
- Reflect on the fact that the freed slaves of Texas did not know they were free until two years after it was proclaimed. What does this communicate? Are there any parallels in modern day?
- What does power have to do with racial unity?
- How have you been made aware or seen a need for racial unity in your life? At work? At school?
- Read Philippians 2:5-11
- What was Jesus’ attitude like? How did that impact the way he lived?
- In what ways do our relationship with God and how we treat others go hand-in-hand? What does that look like in your life right now?
- What does it mean that a voluntary servant is the stronger person in a relationship?
- How could slavery be considered a perversion of power?
- In your life today, how can you use your power to voluntarily serve others?
- Thinking outside the box, who do you think most needs you to use your power to help and serve them? Is there anyone who might feel like you’re against them rather than for them?
- How far would you be willing to go to serve others? Why?
- What do you think can be done to achieve God’s desire for racial unity?
- How does your age, gender, race, etc… play into promoting racial unity?
- Pray for The Church and her pursuit of racial unity.