Need to Know
In order to participate in our Baby Dedication, you must either be a member of our church, a member of a Community Group, or serving with us as a volunteer on one of our ministry teams. We feel like these criterion are important as a first step for you as parents to understand what we believe and for us to truly be able to partner with you in the spiritual development of your child.
Here's more info on joining a Community Group.
Here's more info on serving as a volunteer.
Here's more info on membership.
Not Infant Baptism
This event is not infant baptism. We believe that when people are old enough to understand what it means to put their faith and trust in Jesus Christ as their personal Savior, they should have the opportunity to make that choice for themselves. A preschooler is not able to understand sin, forgiveness, the sacrifice our Savior made for us, and what it means to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. This event is about your commitment as a parent to lead your child into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ, so that as he gets older, you are able to guide him and to help him understand what that means.
What Can You Expect at the Celebration?
- We will reserve a table for your family and close friends.
- You’ll have an opportunity to share what you’ve decided from your homework in Step 1.
- We will lead you in a prayer of dedication.
- You will have time to eat light refreshments and take pictures with your family.
- The event will last about an hour.
When thinking about your guest list, it is our desire that you will surround yourself with family and friends who will pray for you, support you, give you good advice, listen to your struggles, and when life gets tough, help you remember what matters most. We also hope that you will partner with us every Sunday by encouraging your child to fully participate with us as we create environments to lead him or her into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
- What to wear? Sunday attire is appropriate - nice but casual. You will see everything from beautiful christening gowns, dresses, and suits to jeans and shirts.
- Time? We start promptly at 10:00 am
- Place? Grace Bible Church Auditorium (Lynnhaven Campus)
- How many guests can I invite? There is not a limit on the number of guests you may invite. Just let us know how many to expect. This is a great opportunity to include friends and family who will stand with you as parents and commit to pray for your child. (We have invitations for you in your orientation packet. Please let us know if you need more!)
- Where can I get a Baby Dedication packet? Come check out Sonshine Island on Sundays for a tour of our environment and to pick up your packet!
- Can young children attend the event? Yes! This event is designed with wiggly little ones in mind.
- What do I do if my baby cries? Relax, babies and crying go hand in hand.
- How long is the event? 45-60 minutes
- Will there be refreshments? You bet!
- Will there be a photographer? Yes! A professional photographer will be on site to take pictures - both candid and family photos. The event will also be recorded audibly.
- What do I need to bring? Don’t forget to bring your little one (wink! wink!) and your completed homework to share! Please keep your homework to 250 words or less so that there will be time for each family to speak. If you want to write more, feel free, but at the event, just share a portion!
- What kind of program will there be? There will be music, video, laughing and perhaps a tear or two. Eric will be sharing as well as leading a special time of prayer and dedication.